Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet!

I may be totally alone on this vent, but that's okay. It won't hurt my feelings if you don't agree with what I'm going to say about Halloween. As a Christian, I have never been fond of the day and all it contains.

First of all, Halloween is a day that is set aside to dress like someone or something else. Okay, there's no harm in wearing a costume, but why the need for blood, guts, skeletons, fangs, death, etc.? And why are children dressing as monsters, killers, street walkers, etc.? Now, I don't have a problem with dressing as cute animals or cartoon characters, or even police and firemen. It's cute. I just don't think we need to give the freaks of the world any more freedom to make us all feel creepy!

Second, trick or treating... What is it that makes lazy parents want to take their lazy kids from door to door to get tons of treats that aren't healthy. Don't get me wrong, I can totally eat some major chocolate!!!! But, my problem is that parents around here DRIVE their kids from door to door. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! When I was a kid, we walked on sidewalks and in yards to go from door to door in OUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!! And when we were still young, our parents walked with us (usually holding our hands). I never remember riding all over town to the rich neighborhoods just to be greedy for candy!!!! The true nightmare of Halloween is the TRAFFIC caused by lazy parents who literally drive from house to house. Come on! There was a truck parked in the middle of one of the busiest streets in my town with it's flashers on so that the kids could go to a door for candy. It caused a major traffic problem. What's so bad about walking with your kids? If you must go to other neighborhoods, park your car in a safe place and then walk around the neighborhood.

I realize that some of my readers may like the whole trick-or-treat thing. I am not against the idea, I just think YOU SHOULD WALK!!!!! After all, wouldn't it be good to burn off some of the calories you consume from all the candy?

1 comment:

Julie said...

My supervisor at work told me today that her mother-in-law had ADULTS trick-or-treating at her house last night! With the money they spent on gas they could have bought a $3 bag of candy!