Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Caught in the Middle

I have been listening to the newest album from one of my favorite groups, Casting Crowns. On my trip to and from my doctor this morning, I was singing and air drumming like crazy. I am sure the people next to me during Dallas rush hour must have thought I was having a seizure of some kind. Music makes me live. Without it, I hate to imagine what my life would be. It's not just the words that move me... it is literally every detail (tempo, meter, rhythm, harmonies, melody, instrumentation). I believe that God speaks to me through music because he knows I'm not a huge reader. Sometimes he shows me things in music that I probably have been overlooking in other things.

So, what's the deal with my title for today? One of the songs on the album is titled "Somewhere in the Middle." The basic point is that we are so often caught in the middle of where we have been and where we should be. The words of the song slapped me in the face today. I couldn't help but cry as I realized that's where I spend most of my time.
"Somewhere between hot and cold - Somewhere between the new and the old - Somewhere between who I am and who I used to be - Somewhere in the middle, You'll find me. ... Somewhere between who I was and who You're making me... Deep water faith in the shallow end ... But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle ... Somewhere between my faith and my plans"
I wish I could include all of the words. My excerpts do not do the song justice. If you haven't heard this album, you should. God is still working on me. I am so thankful for that because I'm definitely not a finished product. God loves me even when I'm caught in the middle of personal control and total surrender to Him. He heals me when I fall, He hears me when I call. He understands that I am still a work in progress, too often caught in the middle of what I want and what He wants for me.

No comments: