Friday, October 12, 2007

My Sister, My Friend

I wanted to devote my blog today to the greatest sister in the world - my sister Melody!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MELODY!

It is such a blessing to have a sister who is also your best friend. Although we've had our rare differences of opinion (as most sisters do), we are very close. I admire Melody for many reasons. She was ahead of me in all of our schooling, including the same college. Yes, I had the occasional teacher call me by her name or expect me to do things the same way she did, but we were different. I think the fact that she was such a great student and I am so competitive helped me to make good grades also. I was constantly trying to out-do her. Only in a couple of classes did I actually do better (i.e. Music History with Dr. Keck). Melody's strive for excellence propelled me to do the same both academically and musically. It was because of her top ten finish in high school that I tried to do the same. Of course, I transferred to a school with a larger graduating class, so I missed it by two slots. But, who's counting. Melody is a wonderful big sis. I was a typical little sis. It was not unusual for me to hang out with the same friends and hitch rides to everything they did. It was also not unusual for me to beg her for help on certain class assignments.

I admire Melody because of the diligence she has maintained in every area of her life. After finishing a four-year Bachelor of Music degree, she moved off on her own pretty far from us. She thrived. While away, Melody followed the Lord's calling on her life to go back to school. Even though it meant taking on more responsibilities than she wanted, including taking care of an ailing step-parent, she pursued a nursing degree and now uses that to help patients heal and get back to normal lives. Her caring attitude, self-less personality, and great organizational skills have all impressed those in her charge.

It is with great appreciation that I wish Melody a happy birthday. Presently, she is planning her wedding that is set for next month. She is so deserving of what God has done for her and what He will do!

I love you, Melody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are the sweetest sister!! Thank you soooooooo much. I love you!