Thursday, August 14, 2008

When I Need Him Most!

Just when I was feeling my worst this week, God showed up in the most wonderful way. No, I wasn't really going through anything major. But, I was at a low point and at the end of my emotional rope. I've been feeling sorry for myself and digging myself a nice little hole of self-pity.

It all started with the fact that I've been extremely lazy this week. That's never good for one's emotional health. Way too much time to think about how depressed you are and how much time you're wasting. Add to that wonderful mix the questions I have regarding a recent correspondence I initiated with a friend. Throw in the fact that my computer crashed on Monday for the second time in exactly one month.

Tuesday, I had a frustrating interaction with a commander in Patrick's unit. I had called to ask if I could take Patrick from Basic to the School of Music. I was just following the advice of someone at the School of Music. I was treated very unprofessionally and overheard them making jokes about Patrick's last name and his musical job. I was furious, of course. So, I e-mailed the commander in a plea for information. That night, I went to bed with a heavy weight on my mind and heart.

After staying in bed longer than usual on Wednesday, I got up and continued my pitiful existence. In a moment of awareness, I knew I needed to spend time with God in prayer and in reading the Bible. I had been neglecting that time for a few weeks. Obviously, God wanted to speak to me. So, I began to study the passages for day. He really got to me with a pair of pages from My Utmost for His Highest. Then, as I was reading, my cell phone rang. I recognized the area code as that of Ft. Jackson. I assumed before answering that it was a commander returning a call I had made earlier. When I said hello, Patrick's voice answered with "Hi". I was shocked!

It was Wednesday at 2:00 pm and I was hearing my husband's voice in utter amazement. The timing could not have been any better. He was given direct orders to call me. Talk about a perfectly timed surprise. God directed actions of Patrick's drill sergeants in order to send me a message of His love. As it turned out, the commander who received my e-mail directed Patrick's officers to allow him to call me himself and answer the questions I had. We actually got to talk for about 25 minutes, the longest conversation we've had during Basic. When I told Patrick how much I had needed to hear his voice, he said, "God obviously knew what you needed." I immediately felt better. I could feel God's presence at that exact moment. He was watching over us and wanted me to know that He is in control all of the time.

God wasn't finished yet. Patrick also had the news that he had finally passed his 2-mile run. Wow!!! The test was Monday and he did great. My mind jumped to the fact that I will see Patrick in exactly three weeks. I am so excited. The pride I have for him is immeasurable. We reluctantly ended our phone call, but looked forward to the next call.

Then, last night, I attended church orchestra rehearsal. God reminded me of how much I love to play music in worship. It was a wonderful climax for the sad beginning of the week. I know people are praying for both Patrick and me. God continues to answer those prayers in amazing ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

misty
we were so glad to recieve your phone call about patrick passing his test. thank you. you know i am also guilty of not always having stong enough faith, but God is always there, always watching over us, taking care of us and loving us.

kim

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful how God's timing is always perfect? He ALWAYS knows what we need and just when we need it. I'm so glad that you turned to Him, and His word, to find exactly what you needed to comfort you and for you to feel His prescence with you. He continually proves to us He is listening to our prayers and is there with us...so long as we make the time for Him. God is so good!
And Hip Hip Hooray for Patrick passing the 2 mile run....I knew he could do it. Man, I'm so proud of my big bro'....as I know you are so very proud of him as well. You guys have gone through so much these past 2 months, and I know how difficult it is. You have shown great strength through this entire process, and you should applaud yourself for that...because not every woman can be a military spouse. You are now on the down hillside....so hold tight my dear, because before long Patrick will be in your loving arms again.
I Love You and Miss You,
~Valerie