Sunday, July 6, 2008

God Bless the USA!

Wow! What an amazing weekend! I must say that this year's Independence Day weekend has been a wonderful one. Friday morning, Mom and I treated ourselves to a movie and had a great time. Then my sister and her husband came over for some good ole' hot dogs and ice cream. After we got our Guitar Hero fix, we headed out to join some friends from church. A group of us went out to Lake Grapevine to see the Grapevine fireworks display. We chose that location because we thought it would be less crowded. The super thing was that because we were sitting at such a high elevation near the dam, we could actual watch about nine different cities' fireworks displays. It was a great evening. While we waited for the sun to set, we played games and fellowshipped.

Of course, I couldn't totally relax because I was hoping that Patrick would have some personal time to call. I mean, come on, it's our nation's birthday... But, I managed to enjoy the fun anyway.

Saturday was not extraordinary. I had to mow the lawn. I don't hate it, but I slept too late to get it done before the heat really turned up.

Today's church services were so powerful. We had guest speakers in both. The morning service was filled with lots of history about our Christian heritage as a nation. It was really eye-opening. It was amazing to hear all of the stories about our Founding Fathers and how much they wanted to be guided by God and their love for Jesus Christ. We've all heard a few of the stories, but people today have tried to distort the facts and they only focus on the to least religious founders, Franklin and Jefferson. However, the other 54 signers were devout Christians who wanted Biblical principles to define our nation. I encourage you to visit WallBuilders to learn more about it.

I spent the afternoon at my sister's place. We went swimming and got sunburns. Ouch!

This evening, I was talked into singing in the choir. After all, I had heard most of the music before. We had a guest soloist and also Rick Scarborough from Vision America. He inspired us to take a stand for Christ and for America. It was a very powerful and moving message.

This 4th was very different for me. First, Patrick was not here to celebrate. And second, he's in the military now and that gives a whole new meaning to anything patriotic for me.

No comments: