Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blisters, Band-aids, and Brats

Oh, Happy Day!!!! At about 5:30 pm on Sunday night, Mom and I were exiting the interstate to visit my grandparents in Hope. Suddenly, my phone rang and it was Patrick. Between the road noise, dog in my lap, and just the shear excitement, I couldn't hear him very well. I told Mom to pull into a gas station just a block from my grandparents' house and I was able to speak to Patrick more clearly.

His unit had started Basic Training on Friday after a few days at Reception Battalion. His first three days included paperwork, shots, uniform issue, a hair cut, and I'm sure a lot of yelling from Drill Sergeants. He said that it hasn't been unbearable yet, except for the painful blisters he and most of the other guys are getting on their feet from their boots. I thought the boots were supposed to be fitting better than that...oh, well, what do I know? Patrick asked me to send him a box of band-aids. Actually, he asked me to overnight them. So, first thing Monday morning, I went to Walmart and bought a large selection of bandages and some antibiotic cream. I hope they don't make him throw them in the trash. When I went to mail them, I couldn't overnight them because Hope doesn't have an airport. The best I could do is get them there by Wednesday (today). I'm not even sure if he'll get them today because I'm not sure how often they get Mail Call.

Patrick said that the sleeping arrangements are better than he thought they'd be. He is in a room with seven other guys. The worst part of the training has been the unruly teenage and twenty-something brats who won't do what they are told. Patrick said he could totally identify with the Drill Sergeants. It reminds him of being a band director. Problem is, as band directors, we punished the problem kids, not the whole band. In Basic, it's quite different. The whole company gets punished when the brats cause problems. Needless to say, they've already received a great deal of punishment. Hopefully, those guys will grow up sooner, not later.

I'm not sure how often Patrick will get to call, but I know I'm looking forward to each call. I know I need to start sending him some letters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I told Chris about this (the blistered feet and the immature guys causing everyone punishment), he chuckled and said...oh yeah, remember those days, welcome to the military. :) And since Patrick is probably one of the older guys in the group, if not the oldest...it will be much more difficult for him to have to put up with those young knuckle-heads. GRRR...but yeah, I agree with you, hopefully those guys will start to realize the trouble they are causing and grow up sooner..than later.
And yeah, you would think with the kind of $ that the military boots cost, they would be comfortable and pain free. But from Chris' experience, ALL the military boots cause him blisters...until he breaks them in, and as you know, sometimes it can take awhile for that to happen. Hopefully the bandaids and cream will help him. Also, Target (I'm sure Walmart has them too) these really cool bandaids specifically for blisters...they have some sort of antibiotic stuff already in them and they seal around the blister...helping it heal, while staying in place...unlike some bandaids that fall off when wet & sweaty. Just a thought...in case he continues to have more problems.
Thanks for sharing. :)
Love You,
Valerie