Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas Keyboards or Excellence Experienced!

Wow! I experienced true excellence yesterday. In dynamic contrast to the topic of my husband's recent post, I witnessed something yesterday that was anything but mediocre. Maybe I was so impressed because I really miss experiencing this kind of worship and extreme devotion to using one's gifts.

I attended the annual Christmas Keyboards concert at FBC Dallas. Even if you are not a musician, you would have been totally blown away by the production. The hour and fifteen minute concert featured almost 50 of the church's talented pianists. Their ages ranged from elementary to mid-70's. The stage was packed with four grand pianos and two baby grands, as well as the oh-so-gigantic pipe organ. At any given time, there were two to thirteen pairs of hands playing piano arrangements of some of the most wonderful Christmas music. Think about it... in the larger arrangements, that's thirteen people on six pianos and an organ. Thirteen sets of ten fingers all moving together (in case you are not mathematically inclined...that's 130 fingers). It was magnificent! There were small ensembles of two, three, or four that were wonderful as well.

I think what moved me the most was that for those 50 or so people (children, youth, parents, grandparents) the church had an outlet for ministry. Sure, most churches have the requisite one or two accompanists, but how many of them open up an entire concert to let everyone display their God-given talents and gifts. I know that the actual equipment budgets of most churches do not allow for multiple pianos, but this church knew just how to include everyone.

I couldn't help but imagine how it will be in Heaven when all of us get there. Musicians of every kind will be praising and worshiping God for eternity. I also couldn't help but think that musicians who don't strive for excellence are really wasting an opportunity to glorify the Almighty! I know, I know... We can strive for perfection and cause ourselves and others a lot of pain. But, we should strive to present an excellent gift to our Heavenly Father.

Thank you FBC Dallas for giving us the great gift of Christmas Keyboards.

No comments: