Tuesday, June 24, 2008

And He's Off...

I wasn't quite sure how I'd react today, but it has been an emotional one.

I woke up to a text message from Patrick at 7:10am saying that he'd be briefed at 10:15am and shipping at 10:30am. I quickly replied to say we would be there by 10:00. He responded that we should get there earlier just in case. So, I called Melody to see if she wanted to go and forfeit a few hours of her much needed sleep. She said yes, so Mom and I hurriedly got ready and headed to downtown by way of Melody's to pick her up.

At 9:09am I received a text from Patrick that said "Fixin 2 swear-in". We were still a few minutes away. At about 9:30, Mom dropped Melody and me off at the front door of the Federal building so that we could try to find Patrick. Mom tried to find a parking spot and finally found one. We had to park in Metered parking and she only had enough change for thirty minutes. Oh NO! I told her that I'd pay the ticket if we got one.

So, we proceeded through security, got our badges, and made it upstairs. We were just in time. We waited a few minutes while they prepped for the Swearing In ceremony. We got to be there with Patrick when he officially swore in. The pics and video are grainy, but here goes!




















We waited after the ceremony to see Patrick one last time and watch him get on the bus. He will travel by bus to the airport and then fly to Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Please pray for his safe travel and success in Basic. I will keep you posted as much as possible. Thank you for your love and support.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, do those pics. of the ceremony & "seeing him off" bring back memories for me...seems just like yesterday that Chris was doing the same!!! So, yeah, time does fly!
Always remember that I am here for you....I DO know what you are going through...so far, 14 years worth. So please, please don't hesitate to call or email, if you just need someone to talk to (even if it's late at night), that has experienced this. But for now, my best advice for you, is to keep yourself busy...you do that and it will be over in no time. And after this experience, you will realize just how strong of a person you are.
Thanks for supporting Patrick in this...it's very difficult for us wives to "put our lives/careers on hold" for our active duty husbands...but the reality is..."we" are "IN" the military too. :) So, welcome! :) lol
Thank you for sharing!!
I will be thinking and praying for the both of you.
I Love You,
~Valerie