Monday, November 20, 2017

Thankful in all Circumstances

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always as thankful as I should be. Sure, I'm thankful for my husband, my family, my home, for living each day. Those are the easy things for which to be thankful. It's the other things that I'm talking about, you know, the hard stuff. God commands us to be thankful in all circumstances, for all things. What? Thankful for all things? In all circumstances?

My struggle is learning to give thanks for the things in my life that really just kind of stink. I try not to dwell on those things too much, but when the holidays roll around, they are magnified and "in my face". Instead of writing about them in a negative way, I'm going to try to flip-the-script for a minute...

I give thanks for the fact that I got the chance to be someone's mother, even if it feels like it was just for a little while. I'm grateful for the times, both good and bad, that I share with my daughter. Her distance is not something I would have chosen, but I'm blessed to be her mom. Nothing makes me happier than getting a text or call from her.

I'm beyond blessed to have two amazing grandchildren. I thank God for the pictures I get to see of them, and the times I get to see them on video chats. Getting to see them in person is rare, but, oh, so precious. I'm grateful that my grandson's father has made sure that we are included in his life. It is a priceless gift.

Being away from all of my family has taught me just how important they are to me, and the value of those connections is immeasurable. I'm thankful to live in a world where I can get in a car, or hop on a plane, and within a short time, be back with them. My time apart from family has given me opportunities to grow personally and spiritually. Although my family is precious to me, God has provided people in my life to fill the void while I'm away from them. I long for the day when we are geographically closer.

God restores me every day. I am thankful that He's not finished with me yet.

Thank you, Lord, for loving me enough to send your son to die on the cross for me and to be the ransom for my sins.


No comments: