Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So, where are you from?

If ever there was a more difficult question to answer... Why is it that people have to ask that all of the time? Is one's identity solely dependent upon where she lives or was born? Don't misunderstand, I am glad when people show an interest, but when you have an answer like mine, the task can be daunting.

My response always begins with the ever-so-wonderful "Well...". For one thing, I'm never sure what the question means exactly. Does the questioner want to know where I currently live, where I was born, where I went to high school, where my family is based, where I've spent a majority of my time, or (insert anything else you might think the question includes)? And for another thing, my answers to all of those questions are completely different and often confusing. I know God used each of those places in my life and He guided me to each one. However, it does make for a lengthy explanation that often times might bore the listener.

So, why I am bringing this up? You would ask that... Here's the deal - right now I'm "in transit". Fortunately for me, I've gotten pretty good at moving around. Starting with a move resulting from my parents' divorce and continuing through college and many job moves, I must say that God has been preparing me for the new adventure known as Army life. That being said, lately I've begun to feel extremely restless. I am tired - physically, mentally, and emotionally tired.

I hope that my mom, brother, and sister-in-law each know how much I love and appreciate them for letting me live with them over the past seven months. But, I know they understand that it's time for me to be with Patrick again, in our own home, on our own schedule, with our own thermostat, with our own menus, etc. Nothing in the world could ever compare to the kindness my family has shown us. I'm just tired of the in-between. I'm homesick for a home I've never been to. Crazy? Probably. I'm ready to be there, wherever there is. Isn't it interesting that the word home is an acronym reminding me to get a Hold of My Emotions? Not sure that's just a coincidence.

The countdown is rolling and soon I will be too.

1 comment:

Parkerchica said...

Just tell them that most recently, you hail from the town that put fruitcake on the map. I always impress people with that one.